Sunday, July 15, 2007

Cherry season...



Cherry season is winding down. The bing cherries are not a good buy any more (back up to $3.99 / lb), and the Rainier's are, to me, not much different than white peaches.

White peaches, in case you haven't heard me rant about them before, are peaches which have been scientifically designed to appeal to people who don't like peaches. By upping the sugar to a level just short of a Snicker's bar and removing all but a hint of the twang and mouth-watering that makes a peach a peach, the genetecists behind this abomination have managed to create the "anti-peach". The produce code for a white peach at Albertsons MUST be "666".

Anyway, back to cherries -- the last couple of baskets of Rainer cherries I've bought (can you tell I'm cherry fanatic) have been a lot less cherry-like and a lot more "cherry candy" like. Not that I won't continue to buy them while they are on sale, but each one tears at my heart, just a little.

No comments:

Sorry -- more ads