Saturday, February 27, 2010

2010 Best Picture Showcase -- day 1

DSC_0007

Last year, Caryn and I, along with several of our very good friends back in the Bay Area attended AMC's Best Picture Showcase. Back then, it was 5 movies in one day. Now, of course, the Academy has decided to include 10 nominees for best picture, and AMC was forced to spread it out over 2 consecutive Saturdays. We went today (in Oklahoma City) and saw the movies on the card (in that order), and next Saturday, we'll be travelling to the DFW area to see the remaining 5 ("An Education", "Hurt Locker", "Up in the Air", "The Blind Side", and "Inglorious Bastards".

We had seen Avatar and UP, but the other 3 were new to us. I enjoyed Avatar the best, but all 5 were quite excellent. I'd say the biggest surprise was "A Serious Man", a movie I knew absolutely nothing about. It's one of those movies that leaves you asking questions long after the movie is over.

The overall experience was a bit of a disappointment over last year. No outside food or drink (last year, people brought coolers), the movies were kinda squashed together (15 minutes apart, except for the dinner time break, which was an hour -- last year we got no less than 30 minutes between movies, and a 90 minute lunch break), and, lastly, they kept cutting the credits off COLD (when I say COLD, I mean 15 seconds into the credits, the lights come up). Also, the sound was really messed up for the last 20 minutes of District 9.

I'm not saying it was horrible, nor am I saying we won't do it again next year, but I do hope the experience next week in Grapevine is better.

No comments:

Sorry -- more ads