Sunday, January 11, 2009
The face on the Cannon
In front of the oldest building left standing on the Presidio (the Old Hospital, built in the mid 1850s), there is a cannon. This cannon (pictured below) was forged in the mid 1700's and was captured in Cuba during the Spanish-American war. It was donated to the City of San Francisco by Major General William R. Shafter.
The face (pictured above) is part of the relief on the top of the barrel. Such a gorgeous image to be associated with such an incredible instrument of destruction. A 24 pounder, this thing would have been a pretty devastating weapon.
Posted by Paul Franson