Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pickle Fork from Lincoln Park

Pickle fork in the distance

It has been a while since I posted a pickle fork picture. As I've said in the past -- it really doesn't matter where you are in the city -- the Sutro Tower (which I refer to as the Pickle Fork) is usually visible. That's kinda the point, since the purpose of the tower is to provide "line-of-sight" radio and TV signals for the entire city.

I think of it as a "locals-only" landmark. One that you'll never see on a postcard, but one that any SF resident will recognize quickly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's great you nicknamed Sutro Tower the pickle fork. It made me laugh aloud when I read that.

As to the "locals only" status, I used to be surprised how many people contacted me about the tower who had moved away from the bay area. It seems to remind some people of their home in San Francisco.

For more information about the pickle fork than you probably care to know, head over to my site: http://www.sutrotower.org

Nice pictures, too, by the way! Happy New Year from Tallahassee, Florida.

Sorry -- more ads