Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The other San Francisco landmark ...


Click photo to make bigger


Look at a picture of Coit Tower, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Fisherman's Wharf sign, or the Transamerica tower and you immediately think "San Francisco". Some landmarks are known by everyone.

This picture is of another kind of landmark. Show a picture of Sutro Tower (aka "The Pickle Fork") to anyone who ever lived here, and they will immediately recognize it. It is visible from almost anywhere in the city -- you can see it from just about any of the locations mentioned above.

Of course, no one photographs it. No one includes it in their travelogs or their scrapbooks.

This picture was taken from Twin Peaks, a great place to see the city from above the clouds. Several other pictures taken from up there are now up on the Flickr page (seriously -- check out the flickr page -- especially the one of BOB from up there -- I almost used that instead of this one, but I had a better story for this one).

1 comment:

Sashanicole said...

Your blogs make me sad! :o( I miss "MY" city! I love the view from Twin Peaks, and your right, noone takes pics of the tower, but I do remember it. I knew exactly where it was before I read the blog. :o)

Sorry -- more ads